Wednesday 6 June 2012

Time in Aix with Kate

Aix en Provence was hot, hot, hot, 28 degrees or higher. We stayed with Kate and Nico as one of their flatmates had obligingly moved out for the weekend.  I took a bag of washing with me, talk about role reversal!!  It was pretty exciting because Friday evening they found out they had finally got the apartment to rent that they wanted - right in the town centre.  They now have to rent a garage because parking is a total nightmare there.

Saturday Chris and Nico went to the estate agent to pay the deposit and did a bit of shopping, then we celebrated Chris's birthday 3 weeks early as he'll be back in SA on the actual day.  And we met up with some old friends from Malawi!! 



Hasn't Michaela grown up??

A lovely evening at Kate's, a braai and a few drinks with Andy, Juanita and Mikki and some early Birthday Cake, made by Kate.



Sunday was cloudy although still .  Fete des Meres today and so I got breakfast in bed.  FAB!!  Chris and I wandered around the market before having lunch at Kate's and then a bit of patriotic snoozing in front of the Diamond Jubilee.  Then Chris was off to the airport.  Another five weeks til he gets back.

Monday evening Kate and Nico took me to see their new appartment, which is lovely, terribly French and romantic and I am sure they'll both be very happy there.

Their appartment is on the 4th [top] floor.  Lots of stairs!
The view from their bedroom and the lounge


I just spent time with them and hung around the Irish pub while Kate worked - tough but someone had to do it! 

Kate at work

Then I headed home very early on Wednesday, I was dreading the drive but it was fine.  It was helped by the fact that, thanks to Lew, Chris and Kate I have more than tripled my CD collection for the car.  I seem to have gone a bit of a personality transplant, worrying about everything, but it was OK.  I have also had a foot transplant I think.  My own feet have disappeared and been replaced by those belonging to an old French peasant woman - swollen, dirty, with cracked and missing nails.  Horrible!!

Got home to find the electricity, water and phone were all working, the micro-station etc all still in place but the soil pipe disconnected so, guess what, no toilet!

There have obviously been storms and the garden looks a mess.  Don't care!  Going to find a bucket to soak these feet which I am temporarily wearing and then have a drink.

4 comments:

  1. That apartment of Kate and Nico' sure looks awesome with a great view... you were right... looks very romantic... I wish them all the love in the world. And happy early birthday to Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Annie, your old ladies feet, I have a very old ladies leg. Kate & Nico's looks great and you are making progress, slow but sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, give it back to her, she'll be hopping mad! xx

      Delete