Monday 2 July 2012

Lynne leaves and I'm on my own again

Thursday - Really hot night and morning, very debilitating.  Ian came to do some work in the garden with the digger.  We got quite a lot done although it was bloody hot and uncomfortable.  Salty sweat running into the eyes doesn't assist you.  After I said a sad farewell to Lynne at the airport and returned home, the weather cooled down considerably which was much more comfortable. My darling Beth Skyped me [OK, I know her mum actually pressed the keys on the computer] and I had a lovely chat with her.

The next few days were cloudy and warm but so much more comfortable than previously.  The gardener finally came to cut the grass, well, not all of it.  He only cuts the bits he feels comfortable with, so the other bits are shoulder high now as the strimmer is being repaired [allegedly].  I received a speeding fine, my first ever.  So I thought I'd pay it via the internet.  At that moment, the internet died.  The phone wasn't working either but the electricity was still OK so I beetled off to Mme B to find out whether she had a working phone.  Hers was still functioning but she explained to me what I needed to do.  Anyway by the time we had exchanged all the pleasantries etc and I got back to the caravan, the phone and internet were working again, so I had no excuse not to pay the fine. The afternoon turned hot and sunny so I went to a little village on the edge of the Dordogne and took a walk by the river before a couple of hours spent in the hammock. I was reading 50 Shades of Grey which is the talked about book of the season but it's pretty much Mills and Boon.  I believe that it's very erotic but the hammock broke just as I got to what is supposedly the  'good bit' .   Don't think I'll carry on with it. 

Much time was spent waiting for workmen who didn't turn up - good job I enjoy my own company.


On Saturday, Darren delivered far too much shingle so there was a big pile left over. 

Seating area just waiting for a bench.

I decided that it could go around some of the raised beds so I got a wheelbarrow, rake and shover and that took care of the afternoon. My arms are going to be so strong by the end of the summer!! I had a visit from Madame B, who wanted to check that the tarpaulin was properly attached to the roof of the house as the weather forecast was for a tempete.  She was dressed in just a nightdress, but she had put a jaunty little scarf around her neck!   I was truly exhausted by the evening and crawled into bed to listen to the rain pounding on the roof.  [Yep, la tempete had arrived, right on cue.]  The night was disturbed only by my yelps of pain as I tried to move my muscles in order to turn over in bed.  The last time I can remember anything like this was when I tried to take up ballet again at the age of 59, which was a bit stupid.

Sunday was my weekly visit to the laundrette then out for lunch.  I had a chat with Kate as she's spending today preparing for her interview tomorrow for a Masters.   A big day for her.  The weather was cool and cloudy so I decided not to have a day off but instead to move more crap around the garden - I'm aiming for fewer, but bigger, piles of rubbish.  The continued use of shovel, wheelbarrow and rake has the effect of tightening up my arm muscles even more [not in a good way - my thumbs are now covered in lumps and they are numb in parts, I'd rather this did not extend to my arms!] until they are even more painful than yesterday. It also exacerbates my sciatica.  Yep, just what I want along with arthritis and gout.  I take my poor mishapen, aching body to bed.  Then the scallops I had for lunch made themself felt.  Monday I stayed near the caravan.  The roofer came to supervise a delivery of about a million roof tiles - good job we've got a big garden.

Boys playing with their toys

The vents being installed -  a lovely feature for the garden.
Darren came to finish off but he couldn't insert the pump because it hasn't arrived because the company Chris ordered it from won't accept orders from non-residents. Oh well, if our money's not good enough....

Shame they didn't put the tiles nearer to the pool, we could have used them as a diving board!

Roll on Tuesday.  Can't wait for the Knights to turn up!



No comments:

Post a Comment