Wednesday 18 July 2012

Making a mountain out of a molehill - an ongoing saga!


We had visitors on Saturday night, a horse trampling across the new Boules court and our first-ever molehill.

Sunday night we had another boules-loving equine and 2 molehills.  At first it was quite funny but it quickly became apparent that one particular Mr Mole was making his way around our newly acquired Boules court.  OK, joke's over! I spent Monday researching ways of poisoning, exploding and otherwise killing them. [The moles that is, not the horses, they leave us presents in the one-day-maybe-this-year-but-probably-not orchard]
By Wednesday, research was complete and we had decided on the expensive but apparently foolproof method of using un detaupeur, which is a little explosive gadget which kills them underground.  I popped along to the local agricultural cooperative to buy one and checked with the guy whether this was the only way to go.  He told me that there were other options but this was by far and way the best. I gulped and handed over the money.

When I got home I realised that we had some leftover outdated fuel for the strimmer [which broke down after 4 uses and has been held captive by the garden centre for 4 weeks under the pretext of repairing it].  So, following my intensive research, I suggested that Chris pour some of this fuel down the hole to smother Mr Mole with the fumes. [Another suggestion on the forum was to put stale male urine down the hole but even I balked at that!]
At the time of writing, 36 hours later, we have not seen any more molehills and the expensive detonator sits unopened.  Yay - go old petrol!

This post will no doubt be updated later.........

Three days later, still no moles.  This detonator must be magic.  I haven't even opened the packet and the situation is resolved!!

THREE WEEKS LATER, STILL NO MOLES.  THE PACKET REMAINS UNOPENED!

No comments:

Post a Comment