Wednesday 8 August 2012

Snow in Africa and a birthday in France



Yesterday it snowed in South Africa!

Snow at the Vaal Plaza on 7 August 2012. Picture: Gerard Stander/iWitness


Van Reenens pass reopened after heavy snowfall. Picture: @TrafficSA via Twitter.

Can't believe it!  It is mid to high 30s here!

Today I went to visit Henriette and Jackie, the parents of the student with whom Chris did his exchange.  The first exchange was 40 years ago and the relationship continues.  They live just over an hour away from us and, although the temperatures are very high indeed, I wanted to go and deliver a present and card for Henriette's 80th today.

I arrived around 11am and was invited to stay for lunch [the usual 8 courses!] and it would have been rude to refuse.  They took badly to the fact that I wouldn't drink because I was driving and seemed to think it was a personal affront to them, but I had to stick to my guns with that one. 

Consequently when I got home around 3.30 it was too hot to work so I fell asleep on the hammock and didn't wake til 6.  Feeling guilty, I decided to clear the area near the cuve so that all the plants we have painstakingly put there can grow.  An hour and a half later I am covered in stings and cuts and I don't smell good, but at least I don't feel so guilty.

There has been slow progress on the path today.  I will be here tomorrow to crack the whip

No comments:

Post a Comment