Friday 10 August 2012

Summer's definitely here

Another baking day.  I managed to do a bit of early weeding in the orchard then retired to the hammock [thanks Selwyn] to research the benefits of liquid seaweed.

An old chap, actually a very old chap with not many teeth, arrived in his sans permis to sell me some fruit and veg, athough I didn't need much.  These sans permis are increasingly popular it seems.  They are tiny cars for which you don't need a licence and are much used by those who have lost their licence and old ladies and they don't go very fast at all.  Nightmare to get stuck bethind one on a country road! 

Considered a dip in the pool [thanks Tom] but I didn't want to frighten Darren off, now that he's finally here.  I received a cheque from Jardiland for the strimmer which never worked. Yay!!  Opened a small bottle of beer at 3.30 to celebrate.  Well, it's too hot to do any work so why not?  Darren has chosen the worst time to do the path and he is dripping all over the place.  Still, it's getting done so I can't complain.  I enjoyed the pool in the early evening and then did a bit of pottering in the garden.

The forecast is for more hot weather, I don't think I'll be getting much done in the near future.  Darren is working on the front path and Ian. 'Still at least I can oversee others working'  Famous last words!!
Halfway through this morning, Darren received a phone call to say his daughter's broken her leg and he rushed off to take her to hospital.  It was at least 36C today but maybe even hotter so I spent some of the afternoon in the pool and some in the hammock.  Even the evening it was too hot to work.  I had 2 showers and 4 beers but still couldn't sleep well.

I was in the garden by 7.30 on Saturday morning, shovelling pebbles around the raised beds.  After 2 hours, things were looking pretty good [even if I say so myself]. 

Veggies bought by Lynne but I've managed to keep them alive!
So, as I had a cuppa, I indulged in my daily torture of looking at the weather forecast.  A predicted 34 again, my heart couldn't sink much lower.  Then - yippee - all of a sudden a thick mist descended, cool and lovely.  Lasted hours, I could do plenty of work in the orchard.  Yay! 

Darren arrived about 11, exhausted after yesterday taking his daughter to various hopsitals, and he managed to get the cementing of the path finished.  I didn't get as much work done as hoped as Darren's wheelbarrow gave up the ghost so I lent him mine.  About lunchtime the sun returned and it quickly got hot so I took myself off to the shops to buy some food.  The weather that afternoon was a bit spooky, very heavy and humid with odd bursts of wind.  So made some lunch, had a drink and enjoyed reading some restoration magazines.

So, overall, some work done but not as much as anticipated.  Par for the course really.

No comments:

Post a Comment