Friday 14 September 2012

Lynne returns home

An unseasonably cold night and heavy rain ensured a late and desultory start to Thursday.  I awoke with a start in the full realisation that it IS Thursday and that I'd been a burke and taken all the rubbish to the end of the lane the previous night under the impression that today would be Friday.   The neighbour had given me a funny look but I just assumed that he was still being unfriendly.

Neither the skip nor Darren arrived at 7.30 as arranged but I wasn't unduly phased by that.  Darren turned up around 9 and I phoned the skip company to be told that the lorry had broken down so they were looking for another one and the skip would be here this morning.  It actually did turn up during the course of the morning.

I had booked for us to go to a Tour de Finance about 1.5 hours drive away, a finance seminar with free apero and lunch but I felt I was needed here.

It wasn't a good day for me.  I was standing on the step of the caravan with Darren's coffee in my hand and I hadn't secured the door open so an unexpected gust of wind blew the door shut, the coffee cup smashed a big crack in the glazed door and, worst of all, tipped the boiling coffee all over my chest and stomach.  Of course, no burn cream in the house and 12 hours later it was still hurting. 

Well, I just had to get over it, change my clothes and get out of the caravan for a while.  A trip to the plumber to pay his bill followed by a trip to Veolia but the guy was not there AGAIN.

So, as a substitute for the Tour de Finance, we took ourselves to the Mekong [restaurant, not Delta] for an all-you-can-eat buffet which was pretty nice.  Then a leisurely visit to LeClerc so that Lynne could stock up with goodies before going home.  Then we went home to see Darren's progress.



This has definitely been the easiest, least stressful job that Darren has done for us so far.  Fingers crossed!

I did a bit of sweeping in the house and managed to set off all the allergies that I thought I had escaped.  So, what with the scalded tummy as well, the evening was spent feeling very sorry for myself.

Another cold night and Friday dawned very chilly. I did a bit of pottering and decided to stake out a circular lawn, took ages and it was hampered by the presence of the skip, which is going to stay until next week as USTOM are one lorry short and struggling to get everything done. 

Darren popped in but he had to go to a meeting about TVA [which is VAT in French] in the hope we might be able to claim some money back.  Lynne and I intended to go into town for a coffee but the day just slipped by and then it was time to take her back to the airport.  Dinner and an early night for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment